Before you install this plugin you will need to sign up for a Google Analytics account. This is a completely free and easy process and you can do it here:
1)If you already have a Gmail account you can use those details to sign in – if not you will need to create a new account.
2) You will then be asked to fill out your website details such as URL, and your account name (you can choose anything you want)
3) You will then be asked to fill out your personal details such as your name and your country before agreeing to their terms and conditions.
4) Find your Google Analytics account number – It will look something like this ‘UA-XXXXX-Y’.
Step 2 – Install Analytics on Your Website
1) Login to your website dashboard (YourWebsiteName.com/wp-admin).
2) In the left hand menu select ‘Plugins/Add New’.
3) Type into the box ‘Google Analytics’ then click the ‘Search’ button.
4) Find Google Analytics in the list of results and select ‘Install Now’.
5) Once installed select the ‘Activate Now’ Button.
6) In the left hand menu select ‘Settings/Google Analytics’.
7) Paste your Google Analytics account number into the box provided and click on ‘Save Changes’.
That all there is to it! Now simply lo in to your Google Analytics account and you now have a world of information about your sites visitors.
NOTE: You can’t do this on the “free” WordPress sites. You can only do this on websites that you have a hosting account that has WordPress installed.